Is a landlord required to change locks before renting to new tennant in Washington State?

Spokane, WA |

I don't think the law requires a landlord to change the locks after the last tenant. In my city (I am not in practice anywhere in Washington nor in Spokane) the landlord is required to provide a dead bolt lock on the door and ensure the windows lock for security.

Check with a local building and zoning administrator because the regulation is likely a city one.

Good luck to you.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an atttorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

RCW 59 18 060 requires the landlord to provide you with "reasonably secure locks". Landlords would be remiss in their duties to not change the locks between tenants. Hope this helps. Elizabeth Powell

Landlord-tenant topics