Is a landlord liable for the conduct of its tenant against a non-neighbor tenant?

Asked about 1 year ago - Van Nuys, CA

My neighbor assaults me, hits me, and threatens me on a consistent basis. I have a different landlord than my neighbor. Can my neighbor's landlord be liable for the conduct of his own tenant?

1. Golnar Sargeant

2

Answered . No, the landlord is not vicariously liable for what is tenant does. So you can not sue the landlord successfully for his tenant's actions. Call the cops every time the neighbor threatens or hits you, also, try to get a restraining order. Get a lawyer to send the tenant a cease and desist letter as well.

2. Shazad Z Omar

Pro

Answered . I agree wit the previous response. If the abuse continues, seek a restraining order against the person committing the abuse.