Is a judges order for custody binding if an appeal is made or does the previous order remain in effect until appeal is heard?

Asked over 3 years ago - Richmond, VA

I went to JDR court and while in conference with my lawyer outside the courtroom the case was called and the judge granted sole custody to my son's mother as if we had never showed up. I had to give up my son and I want him back until this case can be heard. Any help?

1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

Answered . Your question indicated you already seem to know that you can appeal to the Circuit Court immediately.

If the safety of the child is in question, the Circuit Court may be able to issue an emergency stay even faster than awaiting for the appeal to be heard.

The Circuit Court is the 'higher' court and it can issue an order amending the JDR court’s decision. Such an act would prevent the JDR from issuing any further orders regarding custody.

However, your appear to have an attorney already--ask that attorney for your options, the probability of success and what has to be shown for you to get an emergency stay. It is a pretty high bar--there would need to be significant, demonstrable circumstances for a court to take such an action.
    Best of luck.

2. Jeffrey Glenn Simpson Jr.

Answered . As a matter of general jurisprudence, a Judge's Order is binding until a higher court issues their own Order, in most cases an opinion, which specifcally overrules the lower court's decision. Thusly, until the court of appeals overturns the lower court's action, the trial court's order is in effect.

Good Luck with your appeal!