Is a judgement still in force after 10 years

Asked over 5 years ago - Coos Bay, OR

client has a judgement against her ex spouse for attorney fees in the amount of $6,000. Judgement document is dated in 1999. Ex spouse is not living in state and has never paid it. He will soon get a retirement check from cleint as part of the divorce decree of $11,000. 2 questons: (1) Is the judgement still valid after this much time and (2) can the retirement assets be legally held/liened to pay this judgement?

1. Andrew N Harris

Pro

Answered . My recent recollection is that, under Oregon law, judgments are valid for a period of 10 years, after which they expire, unless renewed. So, if the judgment is renewed, then it could still be enforceable, even after 10 years. I believe the correct statute is somewhere under ORS Chapter 18. Assets held in financial institutions are generally subject to collection under judgments. But it may be more difficult if the financial institution is out of state.

*Disclaimer: This is not legal advice; please do not consider it as such.*