Is a it legal for a cop to check my arrest record during a traffic stop

Asked 9 months ago - Queens Village, NY

under cover police officer stopped me and never gave me a reason why. they asked about my arrest record, and i said ive been arrested before. then they took mt DL, and checked some database. He came back and asked the status of the charges, I said all dismissed. How is a regular cop able to do this, in a car computer, without any special permission or reason? is this legal?

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . The Officer probably checked in the NYPD computer. If the prior charges were dismissed the Officer would have seen you have a sealed case. There is nothing improper in the Officer doing this check.

2. Eric Sanders

2

Answered . Yes it is legal. Actually it is a standard protocol within law enforcement community. I know because I retired from the NYPD. Additionally, I either represent or know law enforcement officials throughout the world and this same standard is followed during car stops or other street encounters.

3. Michael R Varble, Esq.

Pro

1

Answered . Yes it's legal if he had a basis to stop you.

4. Thomas J. Wagner

2

Answered . Of course a police officer can check your rap sheet. In virtually every traffic stop the police are going to check for warrants for the occupants of the car. Your criminal record is a record kept by the government primarily for use by government prosecutors and law enforcement.