Is a good litagation attorney really better than actual facts?

Asked over 2 years ago - League City, TX

Judge heard factual evidence of molestation of child by non custodial father.

He ruled against mother and threatened to give father custodial rights and mother get non custodial if cps closes case.

The father's attorney would not let therapists or nurse speak backed by judge.Mothers attorney gave code of professional allowed to give testimoney. Judge said no. Judge told father not to answer question about refusal of polygraph.

He won the litigation side...which in turn won father more rights and made mother look like the one in the wrong when child has told multiple people about molestation. Mother has made only one report, others including police officer made the others.A case is still open against father with CPS.

Is this really how things work legally? Can judge be overturned

Attorney answers (2)

  1. M Elizabeth Gunn

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Unfortunately, it's hard to say given that I wasn't there whether the ruling could be overturned or not. Certainly, it does sound like some material evidence may have been excluded, but there may have been valid reasons for that, and even if not, your lawyer may have failed to properly preserve error, which could mean that an appellate court would likely not have any ability to do anything about it. Or maybe the evidentiary issues were erroneous, and were properly preserved, and were serious enough to be grounds for reversal. And then again, as Mr. Dick pointed out, if this was heard by an associate judge, it may not matter, because you'd be entitled to do it all over again, and if the problem really was just the judge, hopefully things would go better next time.

    I noticed your posting gives League City as your address. I practice in Galveston, so if this was a Galveston County judge, I'm a bit curious as to which one it was, if you don't mind sharing that (if you do, don't feel obligated, and if you'd prefer not to post that information publicly, you're welcome to email me). Good luck getting your case straightened out--I'm sorry you and your daughter are having to deal with this.

  2. Eric B. Dick


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . If this is an associate judge or a judge for IVD court, you can seek a de novo. If this is a final order you can seek a motion for new trial. If these were temporary orders, you can seek to have them modified.

    I offer free consultations and am quite familiar with family judges in Harris County and nearby counties.


    Mr. Dick is licensed to practice law in Texas and office located in Harris County. His phone number is 832-207-2007 or 713-510-4500 or his email address is listed below.

    Mr. Dick is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Often times the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Dick strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in his or her state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

    By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.

    Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

    I offer free consultations and am quite familiar with family judges in Harris County and nearby counties. LEGAL... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,103 answers this week

3,042 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,103 answers this week

3,042 attorneys answering