Skip to main content

Is a gal required to contact BOTH parties's references by phone

Tuscola, IL |

My son's gal has only been in contact with my ex'wife's references. Is she required to contact mine also to obtain all important information before making a decision on the best interest of the children

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The GAL is not required to do anything in particular except to use his/her own best judgment. The GAL has freedom to conduct his/her investigation in any manner s/her deems fit to return to court with recommendations. The GAL is not your son's lawyer per se. The GAL investigates what is in your son's best interests. The GAL is the eyes and ears of the court and is more accurately considered the court's attorney.


The GAL is appointed by the court to investigate and report back to the court. She can talk to whoever she feels she needs to in order to complete her job.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.


Judy and Peggy are both right. I would just add that non-lawyers throw around the term "GAL" pretty loosely. What you may bev talking about is not a GAL at all, but a "Child's Rep."

In any event, bring this information to your attorney. The rules about what may be done (on account of the "GAL's" not interviewing your "references") differ if you're dealing with a GAL or a Child's Rep.

Your attorney will know what to do. If you don't have an attorney, you need one.

Questions? Call -- 312-987-9999 -- no charge, no obligation Matrimonial / Family Law free consultation.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer