Is a gal required to contact BOTH parties's references by phone

Asked over 1 year ago - Tuscola, IL

My son's gal has only been in contact with my ex'wife's references. Is she required to contact mine also to obtain all important information before making a decision on the best interest of the children

1. Judy A. Goldstein

3

Answered . The GAL is not required to do anything in particular except to use his/her own best judgment. The GAL has freedom to conduct his/her investigation in any manner s/her deems fit to return to court with recommendations. The GAL is not your son's lawyer per se. The GAL investigates what is in your son's best interests. The GAL is the eyes and ears of the court and is more accurately considered the court's attorney.

2. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

2

Answered . The GAL is appointed by the court to investigate and report back to the court. She can talk to whoever she feels she needs to in order to complete her job.

3. Wes Cowell

Pro

1

Answered . Judy and Peggy are both right. I would just add that non-lawyers throw around the term "GAL" pretty loosely. What you may bev talking about is not a GAL at all, but a "Child's Rep."

In any event, bring this information to your attorney. The rules about what may be done (on account of the "GAL's" not interviewing your "references") differ if you're dealing with a GAL or a Child's Rep.

Your attorney will know what to do. If you don't have an attorney, you need one.

Questions? Call -- 312-987-9999 -- no charge, no obligation Matrimonial / Family Law free consultation.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now