Is a DUI of alcohol conviction the same as a drug conviction?

Asked about 2 years ago - Rock Springs, WY

My boyfriend was convicted of a DUI involving alcohol. Was fired by his employer for not reporting the conviction but the policy states "An employee convicted of violating a criminal drug statute must notify the Company's Human Resources Dept. no later than 5 days after such conviction.

1. Tassma Ann Powers

Pro

Answered . Wyoming is an "at-will" employment state, but that could be modified somewhat by the existence of an employee handbook. It is a legally complicated analysis that also depends on the effectiveness of the employment disclaimers. Your boyfriend may also need to review the definition of "criminal drug statute" if he remains aggrieved.

2. Alexander Bruce Johnson

Pro

Answered . No, an alcohol based DUI is not a "Drug" conviction. A Rx meds or illegal drug DUI conviction may be different in the employer's eyes. However, if WY is a at-will or right-to-work state, the employer may still fire your boyfriend is he/she so chooses. You may want to contact a labor law attorney to answer those questions.