Is a DUI considered a first-degree misdemeanor?

Wichita, KS |

I am applying for jobs in the state of Florida. I have a DUI conviction from nine years back in the state of Kansas. Do I need to disclose this on the job application? It specifically asks if I've ever been convicted or plead no contest to a felony or first-degree misdeameanor.
My KBI background check shows only: KSA 08-1567 (1 COUNT)
DRIVING UNDER INFLUENCE OF ALCOHOL OR DRUGS; UNKNOWN SEVERITY
DISPOSITION: CONVICTED

You should try looking at whether or not Florida would classify a DUI as a 1st degree misdemeanor. Since Kansas has a different classification system finding what the equivalent classification is in Florida might also help you understand. Consult with a Florida attorney to make sure your answer is truthful and accords with their law.

These statements do not constitute legal advice. They are meant to be general in nature, for any specific legal questions you should always seek the counsel of an experienced attorney.

2. I am not sure your question can really be answered. In Kansas there is no such thing as a first degree misdemeanor. In Kansas misdemeanors run A, the most serious, B, the middle and C, the least serious. First time dui in Kansas is a Class B misdemeanor.

Legal disclaimer: Legal disclaimer: Patrick M. Lewis, (913) 558-3961, patricklewislaw@gmail.com. This answer is intended to provide general information about the justice system. It does not provide legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. It does not provide the basis for making decisions about a course of action. Legal advice requires more communication and information than is possible in this format. Many important considerations and factors need to be investigated and discussed before an attorney could give legal advice about this issue. Before making any decisions about a course of action readers are strongly encouraged to contact a lawyer and secure an attorney-client relationship. Readers must also understand that this format does not provide for confidential communication.

3. There aren't degrees of misdemeanors in KS. Misdemeanors are classified A, B, and C in KS. A first time is a B Misdemeanor.

4. A first-time DUI would be classified as a Class B Misdemeanor under Kansas Statute. However if you had a Florida Drivers License at the time of conviction, the Florida DOR will translate that into whatever their comparable statute is. You will need to consult with local counsel in Florida.

DUI topics