Is a DUI considered a first-degree misdemeanor?

Asked over 1 year ago - Wichita, KS

I am applying for jobs in the state of Florida. I have a DUI conviction from nine years back in the state of Kansas. Do I need to disclose this on the job application? It specifically asks if I've ever been convicted or plead no contest to a felony or first-degree misdeameanor.
My KBI background check shows only: KSA 08-1567 (1 COUNT)

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Patrick Michael Lewis


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I am not sure your question can really be answered. In Kansas there is no such thing as a first degree misdemeanor. In Kansas misdemeanors run A, the most serious, B, the middle and C, the least serious. First time dui in Kansas is a Class B misdemeanor.

    Legal disclaimer: Legal disclaimer: Patrick M. Lewis, (913) 558-3961, This answer is... more
  2. Robert C. Gigstad

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . There aren't degrees of misdemeanors in KS. Misdemeanors are classified A, B, and C in KS. A first time is a B Misdemeanor.

  3. Russell J Hebets

    Contributor Level 10
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You should try looking at whether or not Florida would classify a DUI as a 1st degree misdemeanor. Since Kansas has a different classification system finding what the equivalent classification is in Florida might also help you understand. Consult with a Florida attorney to make sure your answer is truthful and accords with their law.

    These statements do not constitute legal advice. They are meant to be general in nature, for any specific legal... more
  4. Charles Robert Green

    Contributor Level 3

    Answered . A first-time DUI would be classified as a Class B Misdemeanor under Kansas Statute. However if you had a Florida Drivers License at the time of conviction, the Florida DOR will translate that into whatever their comparable statute is. You will need to consult with local counsel in Florida.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,834 answers this week

3,026 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,834 answers this week

3,026 attorneys answering