Is a dog bite by a dog belonging to a guest in a house covered by homeowner's insurance?

Asked over 1 year ago - Canoga Park, CA

I was bitten by a massive dog belonging to a daughter of my neighbor. The neighbor has a homeowner's insurance I want to make a claim with. My question is whether that insurance will cover this incident if the dog belongs to the daughter who lives in a different state but has been visting with the parent for the last two months? Thanks.

1. Robert Bruce Kopelson

8

Answered . It should, but you have to show the parents knew the dog had dangerous propensities or otherwise were negligent (eg they let the dog out w/o a leash, they knew the gate didnt latch and the dog out because of that, etc. ) The dogs owner is strictly liable. Do you know if she has homeowners or renters ins where she lives? If injuries are more than minimal, you should contact a local atty for help.

2. Jeffrey Mark Adams

8

Answered . Simple answer, probably yes; that said, if not handled correctly, likely no. This is why, among many other reasons, why you need to consult with and retain local and qualified personal injury counsel. Good luck.

3. Antonios Kalogerakos

8

Answered . Depending on the policy....but generally speaking, with that long of a stay....yes. The owner of the dog is liable, and they may also have homeowners insurance. So one of them will be on the hook. Contact a lawyer ASAP

4. James Michael Bergener

Pro

6

Answered . The Homeowner's insurance will likely cover your damages. Contact your neighbor and get their carrier information so you can make a claim right away. If you have suffered significant injuries I would suggest retaining legal counsel, given that insurance companies are very tactical and can undervalue your claim, leaving you with a minimal settlement.

5. Michael R Crosner

6

Answered . i AGREE WITH THE OTHER ATTORNEY - BOTH THE OWNER OF THE PROPERTY & THE DOG OWNER MAY HAVE APPLICABLE HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE . HOWEVER, THE POLICIES MUST BE CAREFULLY REVIEWED FOR COVERAGE & ANY EXCLUSIONS - ESPECIALLY SINCE YOU SAID IT WAS "A MASSIVE DOG" - THERE MAY BE AN EXCLUSION FOR CERTAIN BREEDS OF DOG IN ONE OR BOTH POLICIES. CONTACT A LOCAL ATTORNEY TO ASSIST YOU IN THIS MATTER

6. Matthew C Simon

Pro

6

Answered . It depends on the language of your insurance policy, but in general, yes, homeowners policies often do cover such incidents. If your insurance company denies your claim, seek an insurance coverage attorney immediately. Good luck.

Pro

3

Answered . Don't try to resolve this yourself, as you'll get 1/10th of the true value. A dog bite lawyer can submit a demand package to homeowners insurance carrier.

8. Mark David Brynteson

2

Answered . I would want to read the policy for exclusionary language for you situation. You need to talk with a local attorney.