Is a dog bite by a dog belonging to a guest in a house covered by homeowner's insurance?

Canoga Park, CA |

I was bitten by a massive dog belonging to a daughter of my neighbor. The neighbor has a homeowner's insurance I want to make a claim with. My question is whether that insurance will cover this incident if the dog belongs to the daughter who lives in a different state but has been visting with the parent for the last two months? Thanks.

1. Simple answer, probably yes; that said, if not handled correctly, likely no. This is why, among many other reasons, why you need to consult with and retain local and qualified personal injury counsel. Good luck.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff www.nyelderinjurylaw.com

2. It should, but you have to show the parents knew the dog had dangerous propensities or otherwise were negligent (eg they let the dog out w/o a leash, they knew the gate didnt latch and the dog out because of that, etc. ) The dogs owner is strictly liable. Do you know if she has homeowners or renters ins where she lives? If injuries are more than minimal, you should contact a local atty for help.

3. Depending on the policy....but generally speaking, with that long of a stay....yes. The owner of the dog is liable, and they may also have homeowners insurance. So one of them will be on the hook. Contact a lawyer ASAP

4. The Homeowner's insurance will likely cover your damages. Contact your neighbor and get their carrier information so you can make a claim right away. If you have suffered significant injuries I would suggest retaining legal counsel, given that insurance companies are very tactical and can undervalue your claim, leaving you with a minimal settlement.

The information provided here is for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. Bergener & Associates, PLC is a personal injury practice serving accident victims and their families in the State of California only. No individuals should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any answers to questions without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice from an attorney licensed in their state. Transmission of information via this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between any attorney at Bergener & Associates and any recipient, nor is it intended to do so. The content provided does not create any warranty, express or implied. Hiring a lawyer to represent you is an important decision and should not be based solely on advertising.

5. It depends on the language of your insurance policy, but in general, yes, homeowners policies often do cover such incidents. If your insurance company denies your claim, seek an insurance coverage attorney immediately. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.

6. i AGREE WITH THE OTHER ATTORNEY - BOTH THE OWNER OF THE PROPERTY & THE DOG OWNER MAY HAVE APPLICABLE HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE . HOWEVER, THE POLICIES MUST BE CAREFULLY REVIEWED FOR COVERAGE & ANY EXCLUSIONS - ESPECIALLY SINCE YOU SAID IT WAS "A MASSIVE DOG" - THERE MAY BE AN EXCLUSION FOR CERTAIN BREEDS OF DOG IN ONE OR BOTH POLICIES. CONTACT A LOCAL ATTORNEY TO ASSIST YOU IN THIS MATTER

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

7. I would want to read the policy for exclusionary language for you situation. You need to talk with a local attorney.

8. Don't try to resolve this yourself, as you'll get 1/10th of the true value. A dog bite lawyer can submit a demand package to homeowners insurance carrier.

Animal law topics