Is a doctor obligated to inform police if someone is writing fake prescriptions ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Naperville, IL

We think our friend is writing her own prescriptions . A prescription fell out of her car when she dropped the kids off at the house . We brought to the doctors attention . She wouldn't give us any information only asked if we were giving her permission to look at the bottle . This girl was a patient of this doctors at one point . Also this girl worked at a doctors office for a few years so she knows the system

1. Barry Franklin Poulson

1

Answered . If you know that a crime has been comitted, you can report it to the police. They will conduct an investigation, if warranted. You say, "friend" ?? The doctor should not release PHI to you while you conduct your own private investigation.

2. Norman Antonio Stiteler

1

Answered . It is possible that the physician is obligated, particularly now that you have brought it to her attention.

In addition, if you have cause to believe a crime is occurring, you can also take the report forward to the police. If you have any doubts, seek legal advice from a local attorney.