Is a divorce decree in India valid in US? How to file for change of Marital status in US once my divorce is finalized in India?

Asked over 1 year ago - Santa Monica, CA

My wife and I are going through divorce proceedings in India (where we got married). I work in US while she is in India now. Will the divorce finalized in India be recognized in USA?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Tobie Brina Waxman

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It is unclear what you mean by "file for change of marital status". If your divorce in India was valid; then you are divorced. If there's some entity, insurance company, or perhaps Social Security that needs to know that you are no longer married, it will be sufficient provide a certified copy of your India divorce decree.

  2. David Laurence Altman


    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . Yes if the divorce decree complied with the applicable divorce laws of the country where it was granted. Try to obtain a certified or otherwise verified copy of the Indian divorce decree which, if not in English, has been translated into English. Take the divorce decree and any translation to any state or federal agency that needs to be notified of your change of status.

    LICENSED AND ACCEPTING CASES IN CALIFORNIA & UTAH - 911LAW.ORG - Former Judge Pro Tem in California Superior Court.... more
  3. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce court

Divorce court is where the divorce process takes place. The court may determine matters like alimony, child custody, and property division.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,356 answers this week

3,339 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,356 answers this week

3,339 attorneys answering