Is a Dis-Invite appropriate to keep substance abuser out of my home?

Asked over 2 years ago - Wrentham, MA

I have been in a relationship with my former fiance for about 3 years. He has a history of substance abuse (alcohol and prescription pain killers) and there is a documented case of domestic violence from 2 years ago when he became intoxicated and violent.

Last May he suffered a critical illness, but returned to his bad behavior upon his 2 month hospital stay and I told him that he could stay until he could get on his feet. He has been contributing financially until recently and is in the process of getting disability and the plan was for him to move once self sufficient. This weekend he went on a bender and was removed by EMT's due to his condition. I am done and have a 16 yo to consider - I do not want him in the home. It is my family property and there is no lease.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Gary S. Sinclair

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The criminal trespass statute is Massachusetts General Laws ch. 266 ยง 120. Under the law, as a resident with lawful control of the premises, you need to notify the person you wish to prohibit from entering. Oral notice may be allowed, but it is probably safer to provide notice in writing (letter of disinvitation). Once notice is given, this law applies. The police can arrest the prohibited person without the issuance of a warrant. The penalties upon conviction are: 1) up to $100.00; 2) up to 30 days in jail; or 3) both. This law also covers the situation when someone is asked to leave the property, and the person refuses.

    One caveat is that this law does not apply to tenants or occupants of residential premises who, having rightfully entered the premises at the commencement of the tenancy or occupancy, remain therein after such tenancy or occupancy has been or is alleged to have been terminated. You may recover possession only through appropriate civil eviction proceedings. Given the circumstances, I do not believe you are subject to this caveat.

    An alternative is to file a 209A restraining order, but only if you or your child are in imminent danger of bodily harm by your ex-boyfriend. Good luck!

    Gary S. Sinclair is an attorney licensed to practice in Massachusetts. All answers are based on Massachusetts law... more
  2. Henry Lebensbaum

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Yes.

    henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

    Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,778 answers this week

3,254 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,778 answers this week

3,254 attorneys answering