Is a copy of the trust as good as the original for administering purposes?

Asked over 5 years ago - Palm Desert, CA

My mother died last week. My brother is the successor trustee, but he can only find a copy of the trust, not the original. The paralegal told him he needed the original to proceed. Is that true?

1. Melissa Cari Marsh

1

Answered . I am sorry for your loss, but Mr. Fred T Isquith is correct. You really should read through the trust document to see if an attorney is named, and.or go through your mother's telephone and address book to see if a lawyer is mentioned. many attorneys retain the original trust in their office.

As to the paralegal...in California ALL paralegals are required to be supervised by an attorney. Ask to speak to that attorney and try to make sure he/she is actually a will, trusts, and estate attorney.

Disclaimer. Ms. Marsh is an attorney licensed to practice in California. The information posted above is for general information, does not constitute professional legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship. Ms. Marsh strongly advises the questioner to consult with an attorney to thoroughly review his or her particular circumstances and for advice tailored to his or her specific circumstances.

One or more answers have been taken down.