Is a copy of the driver license ok in GA?

Atlanta, GA |

I sometimes drive without a driver license because of forgetting my wallet. So I intend to make a copy of my driver license and place it in my car. Is it ok if I have a copy of my driver license or I must have a real driver license while operating a vehicle in Georgia?

1. I don't practice in GA. It may be. A cop can certainly look up your license off the copy. But I'd research the particular law regarding driving w/o license in GA before doing it.

Edward J. Blum

2. GA law requires you to have your license on your person when you drive. It carries a fine of $20 or so. The only concern I would have with you keeping a copy of it in your car for those times when you forget your wallet is identity theft. Don't make a copy of it; better to remember NOT to leave your wallet at home. As long as you remember your DOB and name, an officer can look it up.

3. Jessica is right. You can be subject to a minimal fine for not carrying a valid driver's license. Try to remember your wallet from now on.

DUI topics