Is a cop's word evidence in a court?

Asked over 2 years ago - Duluth, MN

I'm on probation for a DWI, there was a cop at my house that asked if I was drinking, and I said that I had drank half of a beer. He said he was going to contact my probation officer, but he'd let me do it first. Will he actually contact her? And without a breathalizer done, is there even any evidence of it taking place? It would be my world against histhough his holds more weight

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Landon J Ascheman


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Yes, a cop's word would be considered evidence in court. As with all things in the court system, there are restrictions, exceptions, and exemptions on that evidence. If you believe you might be facing a probation violation, I would suggest you contact a criminal defense attorney that works on probation violations.

    For a free consultation, call 612-217-0077. This information is general in nature. You should not rely on this... more
  2. Gary A Kester

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Anything said in court under oath is evidence. So, if he testifies, then yes.

    I am an Arizona attorney. AVVO does not pay us for our responses. Simply because I responded to your question... more
  3. Max Allen Keller


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes.
  4. Christopher A Swaby

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you are on probation for DWI and a police officer thinks you have been drinking because you told him you had been drinking, then it is likely that he meant it when he said he would speak with your probation officer. If there were a probation violation hearing, you would have to tell the court both that you werent drinking and never told the officer that you had been; that is tantamount to calling the office a liar which usually doesnt go over well with a judge (absent actual proof that the officer is in fact lying).

    It is in your best interests to speak with your attorney as soon as possible.

  5. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Yes, anyone's word is evidence. How good the evidence is rests on the credibility of the person. Judges, probation revocation examiners, and juries often give inordinate weight to the testimony of police officers. The officer is likely to report it to your PO and less evidence is required to revoke your probation than would be required to convict you of a crime.

    You want a skilled criminal defense lawyer. Not every violation results in revocation of probation. A drinking violation is going to be taken more seriously on a DWI probation than it would be on a theft probation, though.

    Probation means you have already been convicted of a crime. A judge decided that you did not need to be imprisoned to protect society, but you are subject to being searched or locked up at any time if someone thinks that decision might have been wrong. You have one foot in the jail cell already!

    When talking to clients considering probation, I often compare it to being like moving back home with a step-parent who doesn’t like you. That step-parent gets to set your hours, tell you who your friends are, tell you where you can and cannot live, and talk to your boss at work. If he/she thinks you are breaking a rule, you can be put into jail until a decision is made. It is a significant change in your liberty.

    In short, you should be talking in person to a criminal defense lawyer, now, rather than posting online.

    If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

    Thank you.

    --- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin

    --- Facebook Page


    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

    I am an experienced Wisconsin criminal defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these Internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This Internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged.

    No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. More facts should not be put on a public Internet site.

    Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

    This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. See “more” link below for more.

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in... more

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Probation for DUI

DUI probation is intended to deter future drunk driving by establishing conditions that the offender must follow or face further punishment.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,256 answers this week

3,349 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,256 answers this week

3,349 attorneys answering