Is a conversation(text) "about sex" between a 17 years old and an adult illegal in NY?

Asked over 1 year ago - Massena, NY

Provided that the age of consent is 17 and no photos exchanged, can someone bring charges against the adult for having such a conversation ?

1. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

4

Answered . It sounds ok as the age of consent is 17.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

4

Answered . Age of consent in NY is 17 so the person is not a minor.

3. Oscar Michelen

3

Answered . 17 is age of consent in NY. Just because its legal doesn't necessarily mean its a good idea. While the law may consider this person an adult, I am sure her parents still think of her as their child.

4. John M. Cromwell

Pro

2

Answered . No, provided it is consensual and not harassing, threatening or otherwise unwanted.

5. Arkady Bukh

Pro

2

Answered . If this is in NY, as others stated, the age of consent is 17. However, I would caution you to not have this discussion on the internet if that is what you are proposing.

6. Ronald Steven Nir

Pro

2

Answered . There is no issue under the parameters you discussed.

7. John J. Carney

Pro

1

Answered . Whether you meet a girl in person or online in a chat room or on a social media website, dating site, or on CraigsList you do not know if their stated age is accurate. If the girl is a minor it may be a crime to entice her or send adult oriented sexual content. Why don't you just find a nice girl who you can verify is over 17 and have a relationship with her without using a computer as that is full of danger.