Is a conversation(text) "about sex" between a 17 years old and an adult illegal in NY?

Massena, NY |
Filed under: Criminal charges

Provided that the age of consent is 17 and no photos exchanged, can someone bring charges against the adult for having such a conversation ?

It sounds ok as the age of consent is 17.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

No, provided it is consensual and not harassing, threatening or otherwise unwanted.

Age of consent in NY is 17 so the person is not a minor.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

17 is age of consent in NY. Just because its legal doesn't necessarily mean its a good idea. While the law may consider this person an adult, I am sure her parents still think of her as their child.

The answers given are informational only and do not constitute legal advice. Please feel free to contact me if you want to obtain legal advice from me.

If this is in NY, as others stated, the age of consent is 17. However, I would caution you to not have this discussion on the internet if that is what you are proposing.

If this answer was helpful please click that block. Answers in the forum are only general and it is always best to contact a criminal defense lawyer to discuss your case. We handle NY, NJ and all Federal Court cases. Bukh Law Firm P.C., 14 Wall Street, New York NY 10005, (212) 729-1632. www.nyccriminallawyer.com

Whether you meet a girl in person or online in a chat room or on a social media website, dating site, or on CraigsList you do not know if their stated age is accurate. If the girl is a minor it may be a crime to entice her or send adult oriented sexual content. Why don't you just find a nice girl who you can verify is over 17 and have a relationship with her without using a computer as that is full of danger.

There is no issue under the parameters you discussed.