Is a contract legally binding if it says she doesnt have to perform the service that we signed for in the first place?

Beaverton, OR |

I hired a wedding planner to coordinate certain aspects of my wedding. We signed a conrtact with her in person. She never mailed a copy to us. She is threatening to not do what we agreed on and not return any of our money. The biggest chunk of money is for a caterer. She is unresponsive to calls and emails. She informed me that the contract says she can choose to drop me and not return my money. In effect it seems she wants to keep our money without actually providing any services. What can i do to recover my money? I would like to drop her but dont want to risk loosing my money.

1. The answer to your question will depend upon the terms of the contract you signed with the wedding planner. Since you do not have a copy, it sounds like your best option would be to first demand a copy from the planner you hired. The planner should not unreasonably (although many people are not reasonable) withhold it from you. Once you know the terms of the contract, then you can act accordingly.

*Please understand that this is not legal advice and please do not treat it is as such.*

Business topics