Is a contract binding if a person fires you?

Asked almost 2 years ago - New York, NY

I entered into a contract for a non paying film job, after being told multiple times that the job i was doing needed more heavy and advanced work, despite having already done previous work without any complaints and much praise. I decided to give what ever I had of this particular job and told the person that if he was able to find someone who can do a better advanced job, then by all means find that person. And I was terminated from the job on the spot, as a result of this, And was told to return all pertaining to this film. After receiving all finished work, the person is now harassing me and telling me that i have a binding contract and he is threatening legal action.

1. Bruce E. Colfin

Pro

2

Answered . Valid contracts are binding. There may be continuing obligations from you to them, and perhaps from them to you as well. I would need to see the actual agreement you signed to see what obligations and liabilities may have existed prior to termination and subsequent to termination. I have drafted or consulted on numerous entertainment and film related agreements over the years.

2. Richard Francis Markert

1

Answered . There are some missing pieces in your story, not the least of which is the nature of your contract. The fact that your employer terminated you and is now threatening legal action (for what?) sounds contradictory, but more facts would explain how this came about and what your rights and obligations are.

3. Eric Stepanov

2

Answered . I am curious: you state you signed a contract for a non-paying job. In order for a contract to be binding there needs to be an offer, acceptance and consideration-both parties need to be giving up something. What were you being provided in return for your work? Exposure? Was there any language pertaining to their right to fire you in the paperwork that you signed?