Is a confession of adultery to multiple third parties as well as me adequate proof of adultery in a divorce case?

Blacksburg, VA |

I have no photos, letters, emails, etc. However, my husband confessed to at least one friend that he was having an affair. His paramour confessed to at least two people that she was having an affair with him. They both confessed it to me.

It certainly could be depending on the nature of the confession. The best course of action would be to hire an attorney to assist you with the divorce and depose the paramour to get the confession on the record. Good luck.

This is not legal advice, this is a general response that is only intended to be an analysis of the question and facts you have presented. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship, I am not your attorney. You must hire me and we must agree in writing to the representation to form an attorney-client relationship. I am only licensed to practice law in Virginia.

A confession in this situation could be adequate proof of adultery in a divorce case. You don't need the "smoking gun" of pictures of the actual affair, just that you can convince the court with clear and convincing evidence that the adultery did in fact occur. The biggest hurdle is the requirement that you submit corroborating evidence beyond the statements of you and your spouse to prove your case. The confession of the paramour would be corroborating evidence. I would consult with an attorney to determine how best to proceed.

The information provided in this response is in the nature of general information and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship with anyone including the individual who posted the question. If you would like to schedule a consultation to discuss the specifics of your case, please contact Livesay & Myers, P.C., (540) 370-4140, www.livesaymyers.com.

I agree with the previous answers. Confessions to multiple people should be sufficient. Keep in mind you can probably obtain additional evidence through the discovery process.