Is a collaborative attorney hired as a neutral or do they actually represent the client who pays them?

Asked over 1 year ago - Dayton, OH

I am in the process of a collaborative divorce. it seems anything i share or talk about is met
with "we are all neutral". is this the case of is the client represented?

1. Deborah Zaccaro Hoffman

2

Answered . I suspect thus varies by where you are, but that may change with the new collaborative practice law that just passed. Where I am generally the attorneys do represent each party in the collaborative process, however they commit to not represent the parties in court if the collaborative practice breaks down. The process with a true neutral is mediation.

For informational purposes only; not intended to, and does not, constitute legal advice or a legal opinion.
  2. Christopher Lee Beck

Pro

1

Answered . An attorney in a dissolution case must pick on client and should have a contract indicating that. Who is paying the bill doesn't matter. You should review your written contract with the attorney. Joint representation is often a bad idea. You may want to get your own attorney who is going to look out for your best interest. Good luck.

Attorney Chris Beck
    Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
    Beavercreek, Ohio
    (937)510-6110 phone
    attycbeck@gmail.com
    www.becklawofficellc.com

3. Adam Troy Savett

1

Answered . It depends on what the contract says.

Generally, they are in fact neutral, representing neither side and attempting to mediate any disputes, or even avoid disputes altogether.

You can always ask the collaborative lawyer for an answer to this question in writing.

Best of luck.