Is a clause of reimbursement of mobility allowance legal in a at will contract?

10001 |

A firm proposed me a "at will" contract. You have to know that I come from a subsidiary of this firm in another contry. In the contract, the firm propose me an assistance for the relocation:

- Household goods removal
- Mobility allowance: 10% of gross salary
- Up to 2 months of temp housing
- Up to two months of car rental
- 2 days of assistance with social security number

But then there is a clause: If i voluntary end my employment with the company within 24 months of my hire date the mobility allowance wouold be repayable to the company.

=> Is this clause legal?

Thanks a lot for your assistance. Kind regards,

Louis

Yes, this appears to be legal. However, you should have an attorney review the contract in its entirety before you sign it.

The information provided above is for general purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. Seek competent legal representation, because the facts of each case are different.

Based upon the information provided, it appears to be legal. I would recommend having an experienced employment attorney review the contract before signing it.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/employattorney) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WhiteRicottaandMarks) if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.

Given the provided information, the clause seems reasonable. However, it's a good idea to have the entirety of contract reviewed.

Any information provided is available only for educational purposes and to provide general information only. Provided information are not intended to be legal advice. By reviewing this information you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the attorney and/or the publisher. Information provided should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.