Is a business responsible to clear snow and ice in parking lots and if so are they responsible for damages if failure to do so?

Asked over 1 year ago - Truckee, CA

My truck was parked in parking lot at work. Parking lot was very icy and has a small incline and two different cars slid into my truck after they had been parked. No one was driving vehicles or injured. Does the business have any responsiblity to provide a safe area to park cars? Who is responible to pay for damages?

1. Adrienne Patricia Allen

2

Answered . The owner of the parking lot would be responsible. There may be an issue if the owner of the parking lot is your employer. You may be limited to worker's compensation claim/damages. You should see the advice of an attorney to look into this further for you. Good luck and sorry to hear about your car damage.

2. Paul J Molinaro

Pro

2

Answered . Snow and ice in a parking lot may require comment from attorneys outside of Southern California... or maybe one of the mountain dwellers we hear about up there in the Big Bear Courthouse (that's about to shut down due to budget cuts I hear).

That said, a parking lot should provide an environment where cars are safe from sliding into each other. If the plowing or salting of the ground caused cars slide and collide, then there may very well be a viable case against the owner and maintenance crew. Such a situation is definitely worth a call to a local personal injury lawyer.

- Paul

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D.
    Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker
    Fransen & Molinaro, LLP
    980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206
    Corona, CA 92879
    (951)520-9684
    www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com
    "When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW."

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.

** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law.

3. Charles Jervis Mellor

Answered . The factual situation is similar to a slip & fall incident. In essence, the owner of the premises would have a duty to provide a reasonably safe environment. In an icy parking lot there could be a number of factors that would impact your ability to recover damages. Thus, more information would be needed to provide you with a complete answer.

I would encourage you to seek the advice of an attorney in your area. Use Avvo to find one near you!