Is a Breach of Quiet Enjoyment A Breach Of Contract (rental agreement)?

Sedona, AZ |

Is a covenant of quiet enjoyment always applicable in a landlord/tenant relationship even if not specifically a provision of the written rental agreement? If a landlord's conduct breaches the covenant of quiet enjoyment in some way, does the tenant have a potential claim for breach of contract?

Yes, but it must be a material (significant) breach, and you have to show what damages result from the breach.

The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice.

If the rental agreement addresses a matter and it is not complied with by then it is a breach of quiet enjoyment. Their are breaches that are actionable and breaches that are not. To determine whether you need to write the LL a letter, pose the threat of breaking your lease and/or filing a suit, the nature and extent of the breach are important. In short, a breach of quiet enjoyment is a breach of an the implied agreement to quiet use and enjoyment. Contact a local attorney to discuss your matter further.

Legal disclaimer: Click on the name or picture of the lawyer answering your question to see their profile, and then you can click the view website tab to find out detailed information on your topic. The information provided on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Recommended articles about Real estate