Is a Brake Tail Light Fix-It Ticket worth fighting?

Moreno Valley, CA |

On Sunday, I took my vehicle in to the mechanic and had new brakes installed. On Monday morning, I was driving to work and a motor-cop pulls me over. He proceeds to give me a ticket for a burnt out tail light. I was shocked anything was wrong with my car and told the officer that I had just taken my car in for service and paid for a 10 point inspection. I fixed the light and had the back of the ticket signed off by CHP the same day.

I went to court today, and the clerk stated that the dismissal fee is $110. Seriously? For a $3 burnt out bulb which should have been fixed by the mechanic the day prior?

Is there an option to fight a fix-it ticket (by trial or written declaration) and/or have the fine reduced if you are low-income?

Thank you.

The proper fee is $25 for a fix it dismissal. You were given incorrect information.

2. No, maybe sue the shop in small claims but might be best to just walk away.