Is a attorney client privilege absolute

Buffalo, NY |

i signed a retainer agreement and I did not notice until
later that if I say anything negative about I would waive the
attorney client privilege Is that allowed

1. Its not absolute. Whether saying something negative about your lawyer serves as a waiver is an interesting issue. If you sue your lawyer you waive so I could see a court saying the lawyer has a right to defend himself if you posted a negative review online. I guess it would be very fact specific.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. There are other exceptions besides those mentioned by a prior lawyer. If you advise your attorney that you are going to commit a crime, that is not privileged. There are more exceptions if you are going to lie in court. Speak to a lawyer about your options.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

3. I can't see how a retainer agreement can bind you to, say, not leaving "negative" comments on Avvo, Yelp or similar sites and what that would have to do with privilege unless you disclosed or hinted at privileged matters, thus waiving your privilege and allowing the lawyer to also disclose privileged facts in his defense.

This is kind of far fetched, since you can complain about an attorney even online or in public without disclosing privileged facts. (Most complaints have nothing to do with privileged facts, it's more "he didn't inform me of major developments in my case" or "she won't return my phone calls".

If this provision was simply to prevent "non disparagement" it's probably unenforceable and not a waiver of privilege.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

4. That is very shady. I'd ask the lawyer to specifically explain that clause to you, and do so in writing. IF he is saying you can 't speak ill of him, and if you do, the privilege will be waived (allowing him to speak openly about your confidential communication with him) I would say it is time to find another lawyer.

This answer does not constitute legal advice nor form an attorney client relationship. I am not your lawyer. If you have a legal issue in Maryland, Virginia, or the District of Columbia, you may contact me for a free consultation.