Is a 30-day move-out notice in the form of an email be sufficient or does a letter have to be mailed to my tenant?

Asked 10 months ago - Astoria, NY

I am currently temporarily residing out of the state of New York, but I need to give my subtenant in NYC a move-out notice. In this day and age, would an email count or a written and signed letter have to be sent out the old fashioned way?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Steven Warren Smollens

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Dear Astoria Tenant:

    No. The thirty day notice is a statutory notice and the service of the notice is a necessary element of proof.

    In state or out of state, a lawyer should prepare the notice. A process server should serve the notice.

    The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should... more
  2. Elizabeth Shollenberger Esq.


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You must follow the law strictly. You cannot use email.

  3. Effimia Soter

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. An affidavit of service needs to be produced upon serving the notice and you should not serve it yourself.

    This response will not create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,904 answers this week

3,244 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,904 answers this week

3,244 attorneys answering