Is a 30-day move-out notice in the form of an email be sufficient or does a letter have to be mailed to my tenant?

Astoria, NY |
Filed under: Landlord-tenant

I am currently temporarily residing out of the state of New York, but I need to give my subtenant in NYC a move-out notice. In this day and age, would an email count or a written and signed letter have to be sent out the old fashioned way?

You must follow the law strictly. You cannot use email.

Dear Astoria Tenant:

No. The thirty day notice is a statutory notice and the service of the notice is a necessary element of proof.

In state or out of state, a lawyer should prepare the notice. A process server should serve the notice.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

I agree with my colleagues. An affidavit of service needs to be produced upon serving the notice and you should not serve it yourself.

This response will not create an attorney-client relationship.

Landlord-tenant topics