Skip to main content

Is a "non-compete" clause in a contract between a freight broker & a one truck operation enforceable?

Kingman, AZ |

I live close to shipper. The broker is no longer getting me loads from the shipper I have gotten a couple loads from. But the shipper is still shipping loads. I appears that the shipper is no longer using the Broker I got loads from. Is this grounds for me to get my own loads from shipper? The clause says, "the carrier agrees to not directly solicit freight from shippers that it hauled for as a result of efforts of Broker under this agreement for a period of 1 yr. after termination of this agreement. Should carrier breach this agreement, it is understood between the parties that damages would be hard to calculate. Therefore, the parties have stipulated & agreed that should carrier breach the above provision , the sum of $25,000 shall be paid by the Carrier to Broker upon demand."

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


See if you can get the broker to waive the agreement. since the broker is no longer working with shipper. .

Please note that I answered this question with general knowlege of the law and with limited disclosure from you, my answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and I cannot be held responsible for how you, the asker, use the information provided. If you want to contact me directly and retain my services you may through my listing on this site or at 248-901-0750 or


There are a number of issues raised in your question, you most likley need to take the entire agreement to an attorney to review and get some additional information from you to give you some informed advice. Non-compete agreements are not generally favored by the court, but depending on the terms, the trade or profession involved, the lenght of the prohibition, and other factors they can be enforceable.

This information is provided for general informational purposes and is not intended as legal advice. An attorney licensed in your jurisdiction can answer questions specific to your specific fact situation and provide you appropriate advice as necessary based on the specific facts of your matter and the jurisdiction in which you reside. If you are in Arizona and interested in discussing your matter further I can be reached at: (480) 838-9000 Mark D. Fullerton, P.C. 1839 S. Alma School Road, Suite 275 Mesa, Arizona 85210



Yes, I would take it to an experienced transportation attorney. Problem is I live 200 miles north of Phoenix. There doesn't seem to be any transportation lawyers in my area. Can this be handle by ph & fax? Thanks for your response.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer