Is a "judgment after bond forfeiture" considered a conviction for an OUI offense?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Iron Mountain, MI

Essentially, I failed to appear in court for an OUI in Michigan in 2005. The court forfeited my bail bond and issued an "judgment after bond forfeiture." I never pled guilty or no contest nor was I found guilty by a jury. My question is, is there a statute that permits the judge to make a finding of guilt due to my non-appearance? If so, can you provide the statute number? Many thanks.

I agree with Edward that that happened--I failed to appear and a warrant was issued for my arrest. My question is, does Michigan law consider my failure to appear and subsequent "judgment after bond forfeiture" an OUI conviction?

1. Edward Jacob Sternisha

Pro

7

Answered . It sounds like the court entered a judgment of default against your bail bond. That means you would owe the court the full bond amount because of your failure to appear. This would have no real affect on your criminal case, which would still be pending and a warrant would likely be out for you. If this is not what you mean, please clarify your question better. I hope this helps. Good Luck!

2. Mariell Rebekah McLatcher

7

Answered . I agree with Mr. Sternisha. It is very likely that you have a warrant for your arrest. The "Judgment" is likely in regards to the bond issue and not the offense itself.

It is in your best interest to address this issue as soon as possible with the assistance of an attorney. If you cannot afford to retain an attorney you can request that the court appoint one for you.

3. John Paul Thygerson

Pro

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . No.

4. Daniel P. Hilf

4

1

Answered . You cannot be found guilty in abstentia, unless you fled in the middle of a trial. It is likely that there is a bench warrant for your arrest in Michigan, which would not be entered as a conviction.