Is 730 evaluation same as private mediation?

Asked 10 months ago - Sacramento, CA

My attorney requested the Judge for court ordered private mediation which he agreed to. The other side suggested a name and we agreed. The first meeting with the mediator is coming up shortly and I am trying to research in preparation for the first meeting. Any suggestions for the mediation preparation? I am a father who wants more time with his 2 1/2 year old son.

1. Richard Forrest Gould-Saltman

3

Answered . Mediation is a confidential dispute resolution process; a 730 evaluation is an "evaluation", in which the evaluator, a mental health professional, reports to the court with information regarding the custody dispute, and in many cases, a recommendation. You should speak to your attorney about preparing.

2. Antoinette Cara Liewen

2

Answered . A 730 is a psychiatric/psychological evaluation. It is not mediation.

3. Joseph Torri

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues about the 730 evaluation versus mediation question. For mediation preparation, be ready to explain the current custody status, and why more time with the child is in the best interest of the child. Think about sample parenting plans that could work, and don't rely on just one. Think about different alternatives that actually work. Looking at how far both parents live from one another is important too, because many judges don't want children driving long distances to go to school. You can create a list of concerns that you have about the other parent's parenting. You can also create a list of what makes your home the best for your child. Co-parenting is very important. Determining custody timeshare is very difficult. These should be some ideas that can help. I hope you have trust in your attorney to help you with this process.

www.JoeTorriLaw.com