Is 2 witness statements saying a told them that i committed a crime enough to convict

Boonville, NY |
Filed under: Criminal defense

was indicted for 3rd degree burglary three years ago am just finding out about it evidence = 2 statements saying that i said i did it & i had charge of keys that may have been used others had same access

It can be enough if those statements are believed. Speak to your attorney who knows your case best.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

One witness, if believed by the jury is enough.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email - Jgold@goldbenes.com

A confession is not sufficient without corroborating evidence. In this case, the keys are the corroboration and, though circumstantial, could make the case legall ysufficient.

I have been chosen by Superlawyers as one of the top criminal defense lawyers in NYC. I was a First Deputy Bureau Chief in the Brooklyn DA's Office and have over 30 years of criminal law experience. Phone: 212-766-3366; www.goldbergandallen.com

I am not a New York attorney, but assuming that New York law on this issue is similar to that of most other states, I would say that the out-of-court statements of two witness, or two hundred witnesses, cannot be used against you at all, let alone sustain a conviction. The in-court testimony of even one witness, however, is sufficient to convict. But of course, it all depends on (1) what the witnesses actually says and (2) whether the testimony is believed.

You need to consult an attorney to help you with this case. It seems odd that you were indicted 3 years ago and are just finding out about it now. Whether or not you are convicted of a crime will depend on what testimony is given at the trial. Definitely discuss all the facts with an attorney.