Is there a time limit for a debt to be collected?

Clifton Park, NY |

I broke an apartment lease 20 years ago and was wondering if I'm still responsible for paying the debt

1. The Statute of Limitations for breach of contract is 6 years within which to commence a lawsuit. If a judgment was entered against you the Statute of Limitations is 20 years to enforce the judgment. However, the Statute runs from the judgment, partial payment or other acknowledgement of the debt. As such, if you were identifiable in this communication you conceivably could have extended the time period within which the judgment could be enforced by another 20 years.

I do NOT know you. I am NOT your lawyer. This answer is provided for the general public who may have similar queries. The answer provided is NOT definitive. I do NOT know all of the facts of your case and NO attorney-client relationship is established. Please do not use my answer to tell your lawyer what to do. Free advise is worth exactly what you are paying. Trust the lawyer who is charging you for his/her time and expertise. If you can no longer trust your lawyer, then hire someone else. I am always interested in new clients and business opportunities and would welcome your call or email to discuss matters further. For more information, please feel free to visit my website or schedule an appointment.

2. If there is no judgment then the 6 year statute of limtations passed long ago. Judgements (meaning you were sued) are good for 20 years.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

3. Only if you were sued within 6 years of the breach of contract. If there was a judgment, then it is good for 20 years.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.