Is there a time limit for a debt to be collected?

Asked about 2 years ago - Clifton Park, NY

I broke an apartment lease 20 years ago and was wondering if I'm still responsible for paying the debt

1. 2

Answered . The Statute of Limitations for breach of contract is 6 years within which to commence a lawsuit. If a judgment was entered against you the Statute of Limitations is 20 years to enforce the judgment. However, the Statute runs from the judgment, partial payment or other acknowledgement of the debt. As such, if you were identifiable in this communication you conceivably could have extended the time period within which the judgment could be enforced by another 20 years.

2. 2

Answered . If there is no judgment then the 6 year statute of limtations passed long ago. Judgements (meaning you were sued) are good for 20 years.

3. 1

Answered . Only if you were sued within 6 years of the breach of contract. If there was a judgment, then it is good for 20 years.