Is a DUI a misdemeanor in NJ

If an employment application asks if I have ever been convicted of a misdemeanor, do I have to say yes, since a DUI is considered traffic

Newark, NJ -

James Kevin Hayslett

James Kevin Hayslett

DUI / DWI Attorney - Clearwater, FL

In New Jersey unlike most states it is a traffic offense not a criminal misdemeanor.

Sponsored Listing
James Alexander Abate

James Alexander Abate

DUI / DWI Attorney - Westfield, NJ

You can say no. It is a traffic offense.

Law Offices of James A. Abate Jabatelaw.com (732) 412-2364
Christopher T Campbell

Christopher T Campbell

DUI / DWI Attorney - Freehold, NJ

A DWI in NJ is not a misdemeanor or offense. It is a traffic offense.

Lawrence A. Newman

Lawrence A. Newman

DUI / DWI Attorney - Ithaca, NY

New Jersey language can be confusing. We have all seen Jersey Shore so we know this is true.
Going Fishing = going out to pick up women, fist pump, GTL, you get the picture, confusing.

Jersey Lawyers don't use the terms "misdemeanors and felonies." In Jersey legal speak there are criminal offenses based on degrees (1st to 4th). Crimes have the potential of jail for over six months and non-criminal offenses are less than six months in jail.

The "lesser offenses" in NJ are all the NON criminal offenses: motor vehicle ie. the traffic offenses, disorderly persons offenses, and lastly municipal ordinance violations (ie. noise, dogs).

NJ DUI is a lesser offense, so it is NON criminal.
BUT big caveat, it will stay on your NJ driving history forever.

New Jersey "Traffic" Laws - Title 39

39:4-50. Driving While Intoxicated

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

DUI / DWI Attorney - Madison, WI

You can say no. It is not a crime, and even if it is later changed to be treated as a crime, you were not convicted of a crime.

Mark M Cheser

Mark M Cheser

DUI / DWI Attorney - Union, NJ

It is not criminal in Nj and is not placed on your CCH. It is a motor vehicle offense.