Is $250,000 of liability coverage sufficient for a personal injury claim?

Asked about 1 year ago - Fort Wayne, IN

Accident occurred, everyone drove away. Now found out from my insurance that the other party is claiming whiplash / other soft tissue injuries. No injuries claimed at the time. I was at fault / but not cited. How likely is it that I will be sued past my liability limit?

Also, I have few assets saved outside of my 401k.

1. Charles Joseph Michael Candiano

Pro

7

1

Best Answer

Answered . YES.

You do NOT need an attorney because your insurance company will assign one, if necessary.

You have no worries. Anyone presenting a claim MUST prove your damages. Your insurance company will assign counsel. You have NOTHING to be concerned about.

2. Franklin D. Julian Jr.

Pro

7

1

Answered . You are going to be assigned an attorney by the insurance company. They will handle your case, even though you can hire your own personal attorney at your own expense. Because Fort Wayne has very high quality insurance defense attorneys, you'll probably feel comfortable with the attorney your insurance company hires. Not knowing the injuries, it is difficult to determine the value if the injured person's case. Luckily, you were smart enough to purchase a healthy amount of liability coverage. If you aggressively pressure the insurance company to settle the case within your policy limits, I think you will be fine. Insist they keep you informed of everything.

3. David J. McCormick

6

1

Answered . Given your facts the $250,000 in coverage should be fine.

4. Jeffrey Mark Adams

5

1

Answered . It very well may be. Report this to your insurer asap. Contact a local and qualified personal injury attorney. There may be grounds to hire your own personal counsel; although this is the exception to the general rule.

5. Bradley D. Harville

3

Answered . Should be more than sufficient under the basic facts you describe. Unlikely that you would be subject to an excess judgment. Your insurance company will hire counsel on your behalf and they have a duty to protect you within your policy limits coverage. Good luck.

6. David Ian Schoen

Pro

4

Answered . Probably

Pro

3

Answered . Yes