Is """"conspiracy"""""" to commit arm robbery consider as violent crime ?????

Asked 10 months ago - Knightdale, NC

I didn't have anything to do with it, I just, if you want to say, know about it.... I did all my time and completed three years of probation and paid $5000 in fees

1. Daniel Micah Blau

Pro

3

Answered . The answer is probably yes, but it depends on the context. Many times, you can face increased punishments for crimes if you have been convicted of a "violent" crime or a "crime of violence" in the past. In these types of situations, it depends on how the relevant statute defines a "crime of violence." Armed robbery would certainly be considered a crime of violence. Conspiracy to commit armed robbery is typically considered a crime of violence, but again, it would depend on the specific context, and I would need more background on why you're asking the question.

If you're just asking as a general (non-legal) proposition if conspiracy to commit armed robbery is a violent crime, then that's up for some debate. Most people would probably say yes, but if the robbery was never actually carried out and no one was robbed or threatened, then some people may not view that as a crime of violence.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

4

Answered . I do not understand your post -- can you clarify?

3. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

2

Answered . The only question is whether or not conspiracy to commit a robbery is a violent crime. I suggest that you review applicable NC statutes / codes about the charge. However, robbery is the taking of property by force. So, I would expect conspiracy to be a crime of violence.

4. James Regan

Pro

2

Answered . You are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt. Ask for the public defender next court date, or retain an experienced local criminal procedure litigation attorney to help resolve the matter.
    Go to Trial: Crash the Justice System http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/opinion/sunda...
    Not contemplated by the Framers! The Devil’s Bargain: "95 percent are resolved by plea bargains." http://shar.es/xdVIY #cjreform

Educational purposes answer. | FACDL.org | NACDL.org | Defendme.net | twitter.com/JReganLLM | Non-privileged answer.
  5. Raymond George Wigell

Pro

1

1

Answered . Your question highlights an interesting aspect of the way the law operates. How we use a term in common usage may be different that how it is used in a legal environment. The laws that govern if armed robbery and conspiracy to commit an armed robbery have definitional sections that assist the lawyer in determining the application in a particular circumstance. This concept must also be qualified by how caselaw has interpreted the definitional statute.
    This is why, although your question and similar questions are important and seems simple it is not.