IRS whistleblower. Can an attorney file it to keep the person secrect for the time being?

Asked about 3 years ago - Carteret, NJ

With an attoreny is it he same 211 form or is it a different form? How long until the defendant knows who blew the whistle? Are these time frames different with or without an attorney?

If one day the other side is found not guity have I opend myself to litigation like defemation?

1. Scott Richard Kaufman

1

Answered . It is my understanding that anyone who makes a report to the IRS as a whistleblower, does so in complete confidentiality, which is what encourages folks to do it. Do not count on my advice. Give the IRS website a shot??? http://www.irs.gov

2. Michael A. Sullivan

1

Answered . The IRS does not allow a whistleblower to remain anonymous, but does tlendeavor to keep the whistleblower's identity confidential. The IRS will tell you that there circumstances in which a whistleblower's identity can become known, such as if the whistleblower is needed as an essential witness in a criminal or civil proceeding. As to the likelihood of a whistleblower's identity becoming known and your other questions, you should consult an IRS Whistleblower lawyer, preferably one who has both criminal and civil experience.

For a great deal of information about the IRS Whistleblower Program, see www.whistleblowerlawyerblog.com.

3. Michael A. Sullivan

1

Answered . The IRS does not allow a whistleblower to remain anonymous, but does endeavor to keep the whistleblower's identity confidential. The IRS will tell you that there circumstances in which a whistleblower's identity can become known, such as if the whistleblower is needed as an essential witness in a criminal or civil proceeding. As to the likelihood of a whistleblower's identity becoming known and your other questions, you should consult an IRS Whistleblower lawyer, preferably one who has both criminal and civil experience.

4. Henry Daniel Lively

1

Answered . The IRS maintains the confidentiality of the Whistleblower. This is from the IRS website:

Confidentiality of Whistleblower:

*
    The Service will protect the identity of the whistleblower to the fullest extent permitted by the law.
    *
    Under some circumstance, such as when the whistleblower is an essential witness in a judicial proceeding, it may not be possible to pursue the investigation or examination without revealing the whistleblower’s identify.
    *
    The Service will inform the whistleblower before deciding whether to proceed in such cases.