IRS transcripts for bankruptcy.

Hi, I`m trying to get a transcript from the year 2011 from the IRS in which shows that I did not worked and they told me that some stranger filed for tax return in 2011 with my name and an unknown address . I told them that I didn`t filed for any tax return because I didn`t worked in 2010 and I told them to send me that 2011 transcript to see to what address that person lived at the time that he or she filed for a tax return and they told me that they can`t send me the transcript because the previous address is not my current address. Now I need the 2011 transcript a.s.a.p. because my attorney is asking for it. It looks like someone stole my SS #. I would like to know how to fix that problem with the IRS so I can get the transcript. Thanks.

Miami, FL -

Attorney Answers (2)

Kevin Christopher Gleason

Kevin Christopher Gleason

Bankruptcy Attorney - Hollywood, FL

Any tax practitioner can obtain a transcript by filing a power of attorney. See either an attorney or an enrolled agent to get this done.

Posting questions anonymously and receiving general answers do not substitute for consulting with an attorney... more
Wendy Erin Morris

Wendy Erin Morris

Bankruptcy Attorney - Joliet, IL

Inform your attorney about the problem; it will more than likely delay your discharge if you are entitled to one. More than likely, you will (or should) need to file a police report & "formally" (i.e., in writing) report the matter thereafter to the Federal Trade Commission, the IRS & the 3 major credit bureaus.

You can likely find out information regarding the reported earnings if you create an online account with the SSA. Here is a basic pamphlet regarding SSN Theft:

Good Luke.

If you are interested in a more detailed legal analysis of your situation and reside in Illinois, contact 360... more

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.