IRS lien on storefront I rent: What are my rights?

Alamogordo, NM |

I just found out that the person that I rent my storefront from has had an IRS lien placed on that property. We are not in business together; I just pay rent. Does the IRS have rights to my property, i.e. inventory, equipment, etc.? Would it be prudent to pack up and leave the property?

An IRS lien attaches only to the property that the taxpayer owns, so it should not attach to any property you or your business owns (especially since the landlord does not have an ownership interest in your business) -- so the IRS lien should not have a direct impact on your rental agreement with the landlord.

Before you decide to rent another location, consider reviewing your lease agreement to see if the landlord's failure to stay current with his tax obligations gives you the right to terminate the lease (I doubt it). However, if the landlord is behind on his taxes then he may be neglecting the leasehold -- like failing to keep common areas clean or failing to maintain the building (improper lighting, failure to fix plumbing or AC problems). Such failure might give you the right to break the lease. If you breach the lease without having a right to do so, then the landlord may have the right to collect unpaid rent or sue you for breach of contract.

Any comments posted on this site are for your general information and are not a substitute for professional legal representation. Please consult an attorney to adequately address your legal issue(s).

Oscar Javier Ornelas

Anything contained in this response is for informational purposes only and neither the author nor The Ornelas Firm PLLC ("Firm") makes any representations as to the accuracy or completeness of anything contained in this response. Nothing herein shall be interpreted as legal advice from the author or the Firm, or as creating an attorney-client relationship between the solicitor and the author or the Firm. Neither the author nor the Firm will be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information. You should consult an attorney whenever confronted with a serious legal issue. The Ornelas Firm PLLC ( may be contacted at 888-764-5822 or

Unless you bought the business from the owner and are leasing equipment, your risk is minimal. The IRS may send a Notice of Levy to you which would require you to make any payments to the IRS rather than the landlord. If that happens, you should immediately contact a tax attorney. You may also want to discuss this with the landlord if you are concerned.

Good luck!

Ron Cappuccio

If you do not like this answer or disagree, please look at one of the other answers provided. It is not necessary for you to try prove this answer is "wrong" or something with which you do not agree. This is a free service for you based on limited facts. Nevertheless, many times you need to consult an attorney with the details to get actual advice specific to your concerns. Do not put too many details in your questions or comments because this makes the information public and could hurt you. Government Regulations contained in IRS Circular 230 regulate written communications about Federal tax matters, including e-mail, between us and our clients. This is another attempt by the government to limit your rights and to extend the control of government over individuals and businesses. Nevertheless, such communications are either opinions or other written communications. This is not an opinion. It is other written communication and was not written to be relied upon, by itself, to avoid any tax penalties. In order to receive assurances of protection from tax penalties from a written communication, you should get an opinion letter. If you would like to discuss an opinion letter relating to any matter, please contact me and I will explain what is involved and what it will cost.

I agree with the other two attorneys. You cannot be held liable for any of your landlord's taxes.

The worst thing that could happen to you is that the IRS can enforce its lien on the real property (and the improvements thereto) by seeking to sell it, either at an administrative sale or a judicial sale (the latter sale is done following a tax collection lawsuit, after the U.S. obtains a judgment against the taxpayer). A sale of the property would obviously be a major hassle to you and force you to find new business premises to lease.

The second worst thing that could happen to you is that the IRS can serve a Notice of Levy upon you, demanding that the rent that is otherwise due and owing be paid to it instead of to the taxpayer (your landlord). If you receive a Notice of Levy, you need to honor it. A third-party served with a levy notice who honors it is broadly "discharged from any obligation or liability to the delinquent taxpayer" with respect to the property surrendered or paid. I.R.C. Sec. 6332(e). Thus, you should not face any reprisals from the landlord (other than "bad blood") by honoring the levy.

The answer to this question does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Moreover, this attorney is licensed to practiced law ONLY in the State of California. Answers to questions from users in other jurisdictions or states are meant to provide only general information. Users should contact a local attorney in their jurisdiction or state to address their specific tax issue.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt