IRS Fresh Start Program: Question about Lien Withdrawal

Asked 10 months ago - Trabuco Canyon, CA

My Federal Tax debt was discharged in bankruptcy in 2009. Yes, I was one of the rare instances that Tax Debt could be discharged. I just recently learned about the IRS's Fresh Start Lien Withdrawal policy. I currently meet the 3 following requirements:

1. I am current and have been current on my tax obligations in the past 3 years;
2. My liens were released in 2009 once BK was discharged (not paid, and not sure if considered "satisfied" but definitely discharged and released);
3. I am current on my 2013 withholding amounts.

Since I meet the 3 criteria above, will the IRS grant me a lien withdrawal (removal of public record as if it never happened) under the Fresh Start program even though the debt was discharged and not technically paid?

1. Matthew Scott Berkus

10

Answered . No harm in applying

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-...

2. Myron Wayne Tucker

Pro

6

Answered . Only the IRS can tell you what they will do and only if you ask. Apply and see.

3. Barbara Lee Franklin

7

Answered . Study the "fresh start" criteria carefully and if you feel you qualify, then ask the IRS and make sure you have all your documents needed to show you qualify.

4. Terrence Jay Moore

2

Answered . The withdrawal process of the Liens do not apply to taxes and liens discharged in bankruptcy.

5. Richard Gordon Stack

1

Answered . You may not satisfy the eligibility requirement of the Fresh Start Program that the underlying tax liability has been "satisfied," as the IRS released its tax lien only because of the bankruptcy discharge, which rendered the liability "legally unenforceable." Legal unenforceability is an alternative basis requiring the IRS to release a filed tax lien. IRC Sec. 6325(a)(1). Nevertheless, you have nothing to lose (except your time and effort) in seeking to obtain a withdrawal of the lien notice. Good luck!