IRA wasn't specifically listed in separation and divorce and now T.Rowe Price won't split it

Asked 5 months ago - Salisbury, NC

My ex and I had an amicable separation and divorce. When I filed the initial papers with they lawyer, he forgot to include the IRA in the division of assets and we didn't notice. Before the filing my ex and I agreed that I would split the IRA that I accumulated during the marriage. We sent the papers into T.Rowe Price but they are saying that since it's not specificall stated they won't do it. Is there a law I can point to that will tip the balance? She needs her half and I want to keep to my word and get it to her without having to go back to a judge. Help?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Bill Whittaker


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . There are as many ways to divide IRAs incident to a separation as there are investment companies. Find out what TRP needs. Then either amend the agreement and take the steps TRP requires or file a short "friendly" lawsuit and a consent order dividing the IRA. Consult with a family law attorney in your area using Avvo to locate him/her. It might cost some money, but it can get done.

    DISCLAIMER – Responding to inquiries on this site does not create an attorney client relationship between the... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Uncontested divorce

An uncontested divorce is one in which spouses agree on relevant issues such as division of property, child custody/support, and alimony.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,583 answers this week

3,159 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,583 answers this week

3,159 attorneys answering