IRA wasn't specifically listed in separation and divorce and now T.Rowe Price won't split it

Salisbury, NC |

My ex and I had an amicable separation and divorce. When I filed the initial papers with they lawyer, he forgot to include the IRA in the division of assets and we didn't notice. Before the filing my ex and I agreed that I would split the IRA that I accumulated during the marriage. We sent the papers into T.Rowe Price but they are saying that since it's not specificall stated they won't do it. Is there a law I can point to that will tip the balance? She needs her half and I want to keep to my word and get it to her without having to go back to a judge. Help?

There are as many ways to divide IRAs incident to a separation as there are investment companies. Find out what TRP needs. Then either amend the agreement and take the steps TRP requires or file a short "friendly" lawsuit and a consent order dividing the IRA. Consult with a family law attorney in your area using Avvo to locate him/her. It might cost some money, but it can get done.

DISCLAIMER – Responding to inquiries on this site does not create an attorney client relationship between the responder and the inquirer, nor does it invoke any privilege on the part of the inquirer. The inquirer should recognize the limitations of the answers based on limited facts and is advised to seek legal counsel for more complete information and possible representation.

Thank you Bill. I appreciate it. Made the appt with an attorney for Monday. Thanks again!

Recommended articles about Family law