Involved in fatal car accident. Should I go to funeral or send condolences/flowers?

Austin, TX |

I was involved in a fatal car accident. They are still investigating to see who is at fault. Should I go to the funeral of those who passed away? I feel sad for the family of those who passed away, but I'm not sure if going or sending my condolences would be like admitting guilt or wrongdoing? Is it legally prudent (will it help my case to show sympathy if I am found to be at fault)?

1. You need to hire an Austin injury lawyer ASAP.

Personally, I think tragic death is always sad no matter how. However, if the family of the victim believes you are at fault your appearance may be a distraction that you might regret.

At the end of the day your appearance is a personal decision but certainly be advised anything your write (like in a card) or say to anyone could be used at a later time.

Get to a local lawyer immediately.

2. This is a duplicate of another question. Check the answers given to the other question.

This answer is intended to be taken as general information and not as specific legal advice. You should always consult a qualified attorney and make him familiar with all the relevant facts in order to get proper legal advice. Every case is different, and they must be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. David N. Smith 812 W. 11th Street, Suite 201 Austin TX 78701 (512) 457-0100 defenseattorneysmith.com

3. Yes - check the other answers. This is serious enough to warrant hiring an attorney. Hire one and discuss the pros and cons with him or her. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.

4. That would not be a good idea, although it is a kind thought. Have one of the above lawyers in your state investigate the accident.

5. Remember that any admissions, regardless of their intent, can be used against you in court. I would advise contacting local legal representation for further advice. Many attorneys offer a free consultation.

Best of Luck
    Bret Royle
    The Law Office of Bret A. Royle, PLLC
    4501 N. 22nd Street, Suite 260
    Phoenix, AZ 85016
    www.criminalazlawyer.com

6. Whether or not you need the deceased, you may be ask some hard questions by angry grieving people. You would benefit from sitting down with an attorney before going to wakes, funerals, or talking with friends and family of the deceased.

I strongly suggest that you consult with a personal attorney experienced in personal injury law, insurance law, and criminal law.

I hope that you have properly given your liability insurer notice of the potential claims and that you are cooperating with the insurer in the investigation. I also hope that you are not communicating with other parties (and their lawyers and investigators). If civil claims are made against you, your liability insurer will likely provide a retained insurance defense attorney. However, you must make a proper request for defense and indemnity. Your personal attorney can assist you by forcing your liability insurer and its retained defense attorney to protect your interests in keeping with the terms of your policy and applicable law. Also, if the possibility of criminal charges exist, a personal attorney can assist in preserving your Fifth Amendment rights. The personal attorney can answer questions about whether you should attend funerals. You must pay the personal attorney. This would be money well spent, especially if you have low liability insurance limits and a possibility of criminal charges.

John Zgourides
    (713) 876-7001
    www.zgourides.com

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.