Skip to main content

Involved in a three car accident. Police didn't have my correct statement.

Biloxi, MS |

I was involved in a three car accident where I was the first vehicle. The third vehicle left the scene. When the police showed up the police didn't take our reports sepreatly. The REAL driver in the second car told the officers that it was his sister that was driving not him. The reason he did that was he told me before the police came that he did not have his license. I did not contredict their report because I knew my address was going in the report. The police then asked them how fast were you going the MALE said I don't know the cop then asked were you stopped and he said yes. I stated to the police I was hit twice. My statement about being hit twice wasn't in the report. All it said was v1 and v2 was at a stop v3 caused a chain reaction. Now I am stuck with the bill and suffering

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You are faced with a near impossible task of trying to change the report. Compounded by the facts you state. Presumably you do not have collision. Your policy have uninsured coverage. Speak with an attorney.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


Hard to change the report at this point. I would go to the "find a lawyer" tab and look for a lawyer in your community to consult with about your best options. Get a copy of the police report and bring it to the meeting with the lawyer. See if there are the names of any independent witnesses on the report, if so, get contact information for the independent witnesses.


I would forget about trying to change to police report and concentrate on finding a personal injury attorney.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.


Police rarely change reports. Find a good local lawyer to investigate.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


I am unsure is you mean the bill for the damage to your vehicle or medical expenses and from medical bills and pain and suffering, or both. If you are speaking only about your bills for repairing your vehicle, then it may be difficult to find an attorney that will work on a contingency bases, and you may end up paying by the hour. If you are speaking about both including medical treatment and related cost, then you can have a personal injury attorney evaluate your case and most will take them on contingency agreements.
Your options are to go to the police department that made out the accident report, and give them updated "correct" information and ask them to correct it - which they almost always refuse to do, but depends on the specific department. Some police departments require that the original officer be the one (and only one) that can change or supplement the accident report.
The other option is for you or your attorney to hire an 'accident reconstruction expert' and pay them to do an independent investigation. You can use the finding of the expert to convince their insurance company (or yours if Uninsured Motorist coverage applies) that they should pay your damages. You can also try to find any witnesses that can verify what really happened, and get them to swear an affidavit to such, for further use to clarify the accident report.
Some newer vehicles have a computer that records any driving information surrounding any collision, sorta like a 'black box' on an aircraft but limited, which driving data could be pulled from to support that your vehicle was struck twice, and the speed of your vehicle or if you were stopped.
Depending on the amount of damages you have, it may or may not be worth the effort and cost to fight it, but I wanted to give you some ideas to think about.
Best of Luck,

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer