Involved in a hit and run, no other vehicles just property damage to someones fence. I was in a daze and left the scene.

Las Vegas, NV |

I fled the scene. My truck was towed away. I already filed a claim with my insurance to pay for the fence. I have an expired license and am supposed to have an SR22 but never went to get my license again after my previous suspension was lifted in 12/11. My previous drivers license suspension was for evading police. I don't have any other tickets or accidents. What am I facing?

I realize the law states maximum penalty is up to 6 months in jail, $1000 fine..Would it benefit me if i turned myself in?

1. You posted this set of facts earlier today. You have added some details (the fleeing the scene fact). Should you turn yourself in? Well, before you do, try to sit down with a criminal defense attorney as there may be a warrant for your arrest and that attorney may be able to set up a bond and release situation -- meaning no jail time before an advisement.

I am curious about the insurance issue -- if you have no history, why the need for the SR22?

Good luck to you. My guess is you'll need at least a little bit of it!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

2. Talk to a local Criminal Defense Attorney ASAP. Most will offer a free consultation.
    Your money and liberty may be at stake here. Moreover, if criminal charges are brought forward it may impact your life in the long run in as much as what jobs you may or may not be able to hold, or even apply for. Do not take this lightly.

Best of Luck

3. Its already been said, but I'll say it again: talk to a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. You don't know exactly what, if anything you're facing, and an attorney in your area will be in the best position to advice you after hearing all the facts. Good luck!

Nothing posted on this site is intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. Bryan M. Donahue, DeShaw Trial Lawyers, 805 SW Broadway, Suite 2540, Portland, OR 97205 | Telephone: 503-227-1233 | Facsimile: 503-227-2489 | Email: bryan@doctorlawyer.net | Online: www.DeShawLaw.com

4. Speek to a lawyer right away. stop posting

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.

DUI topics