Involved in a hit and run, no other vehicles just property damage to someones fence. I was in a daze and left the scene.

Asked over 2 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

I fled the scene. My truck was towed away. I already filed a claim with my insurance to pay for the fence. I have an expired license and am supposed to have an SR22 but never went to get my license again after my previous suspension was lifted in 12/11. My previous drivers license suspension was for evading police. I don't have any other tickets or accidents. What am I facing?

I realize the law states maximum penalty is up to 6 months in jail, $1000 fine..Would it benefit me if i turned myself in?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 4

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You posted this set of facts earlier today. You have added some details (the fleeing the scene fact). Should you turn yourself in? Well, before you do, try to sit down with a criminal defense attorney as there may be a warrant for your arrest and that attorney may be able to set up a bond and release situation -- meaning no jail time before an advisement.

    I am curious about the insurance issue -- if you have no history, why the need for the SR22?

    Good luck to you. My guess is you'll need at least a little bit of it!

    In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship.... more
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Speek to a lawyer right away. stop posting

    The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing... more
  3. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Its already been said, but I'll say it again: talk to a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. You don't know exactly what, if anything you're facing, and an attorney in your area will be in the best position to advice you after hearing all the facts. Good luck!

    Nothing posted on this site is intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Each case is unique. You are... more
  4. 2

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Talk to a local Criminal Defense Attorney ASAP. Most will offer a free consultation.
    Your money and liberty may be at stake here. Moreover, if criminal charges are brought forward it may impact your life in the long run in as much as what jobs you may or may not be able to hold, or even apply for. Do not take this lightly.

    Best of Luck

Related Topics

SR22 license liability insurance

An SR-22 form is a method of proving insurance coverage that is frequently required after a license suspension for DUI or other offenses.

Bart Landon Arnold

What is an SR form in Indiana

The BMV often sends notices to drivers in Indiana requiring the driver to provide information on and SR form. What is this? SR forms are simply forms that provide the BMV with information... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

37,527 answers this week

3,924 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

37,527 answers this week

3,924 attorneys answering