Invited to an IEP meeting

Albany, GA |
Filed under: Education law

If a parent invited us we're close to the family in a meeting with teachers its a special education program could the person invited ask the teacher a question? one of the staff restrained a student that didn't do anything so i asked why did they touch him just because he said something back you didn't like the social worker who touched him was about to answer until the other staff member said don't answer

I used to be in the program and the other staff member who is the administrator knows i know what they do locking us in a seclusion room being isolated

While it is not unusual for a lay person to be invited by a parent or family to attend an IEP meeting, the participation of such persons can be challenging. If you have information that the family may find helpful in understanding what the school staff are doing or what they are likely to do, I recommend that you share this information with your friends, but stress that they need to ask questions of school staff rather than make assumptions based on various sources.

This sounds more like a disciplinary meeting than a regular IEP session. I would encourage you to help the family located an experienced and qualified attorney or education advocate to assist the family and the child deal with the school staff. Sometimes the best recourse is to have a qualified professional participate in the IEP when serious issues such as discipline, physical contact with the child and placement options are at issue. Good luck with this.

This is not a substitute for a consultation with an education or disability rights attorney in your community.

The georgia advocacy was of no help i was invited to the meeting because i know how they lie and keep things covered up i was in the program i know them better than anyone else which is why i knew what questions to ask seclusion rooms are illegal but they still used them until i stopped them it was a meeting to talk about how the student was doing in the program

Daphne Lori Macklin

Daphne Lori Macklin

5/25/2013 Thank you for your response. As I do not practice in Georgia, I am unaware of the reputations or the effectiveness of the various disability rights organizations in your area. If you feel that the district was treating the child inappropriately, in addition to my recommendation that your friend consult with an education or disability rights attorney in the area, you may also want to recommend that they file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education. Good luck with this and thank you for the concern you are expressing for your friends and their child. D. Macklin

the sad thing is the adoptive parent doesn't care what they did to him besides being abused at school she doesn't feed him much he has to steal food and a mental health support group gave me the contact information to the u.s department of education civil rights division i faxed it to her she never filled it out i had to set up meetings with the board and state boards special education director i was the one that stopped the abuse and he started getting attached to me and said he wants to live with us so i'm working on that and thank you i didn't know there were education attorneys we could have used one when i had my IEP meetings they tried to force me to do things against my will by psychically restraining me

I would strongly advise your friend to retain a special education attorney like myself or an special education advocate to attend an IEP meeting. IEP meetings can be quite complicated and unless you are experienced, trained or knowledgeable in special education then yoru questions will probably not eliciit the information that is designed to develop an appropriate special education program for this child.

A parent can invite another person to the IEP meeting that has some specialized knowledge or experience with the child to render opinions or ask questions concerning the development of the child's IEP.

Thank you i was invited because i know the child's condition and i was in the program for years i knew what questions to ask and i know how they lie on the children which is why i asked the social worker why did she restrain him just for walking off saying something she was about to answer until the administrator said not to answer

Torin D. Togut

Torin D. Togut

I understand the concern about the possible abuse of a child with a disability by school staff. This is more the reason to contact a special education attorney or advocate to help you understand your legal and other options to address this type of problem.

Parents have the right to bring another person to an IEP meeting, but there are no specific rules as to whether and to what extent a non-professional can participate. If your son is being restrained, that is a serious issue and may be a symptom of an inadequate program. You would most likely benefit by consulting with a special education attorney in your area to discuss the legal .

Education law topics