Intoxicated Criminal Damage to Property

Asked 6 months ago - Naperville, IL

Last night, I was intoxicated by alcohol. Blacked out and don't remember anything. I was arrested and told that I have a criminal damage to property complaint. The court has not sent the arraignment letter yet. According to the account I popped the bug mesh screen off of my friend's neighbor's front screen door. I went over to the house today, and apologized to the house owner. Also, I promised to pay for the damaged screen. The mesh screen is bent and came out of the hinges on the screen door. According to the home owner, I tried to get in his front door at 3 in the morning, and kicking the door since I couldn't get in. I don't know if it would be the town pressing charges or the home owner. I have no previous records, and I didn't do the damage knowingly. Would I be charged most likely?

1. Benjamin Robert Lawson

Pro

8

Answered . If you were arrested and a complaint was made, then most likely you will be charged. The time to speak to a lawyer is now, before the charges have been filed. This will give your attorney time to sit down with you, review the situation, and try to work to resolve the situation before it escalates or worsens.

2. Anthony Bettencourt Cameron

7

Answered . Victim has no control over charges. Don't wait. Get a lawyer. You could get a deferral or you could be charged with a class X felony. Do not leave this outcome to chance.

3. Judy A. Goldstein

7

Answered . You need to hire an attorney as soon as possible. You also need to refrain from any further discussion of your case in public, whether or not online, or even in private with anyone but an attorney. More than likely what happened is in your drunken stupor, you tried to get into what you thought was your house and you entered your neighbor's house. Nevertheless, you will probably be charged with a very serious crime. Hire an attorney!ASAP!

4. Omer Jaleel

1

Answered . Naperville has a city prosecutor so Naperville will be the entity charging you. The home owner could sue you in civil court trying to get monetary damages. Naperville will be the prosecuting you. If the damage to this door is over $300 it could be charged as a Class 4 Felony, if that happens then it would be the DuPage County State's Attorney handling the case.