Intestate succession laws?

Asked over 2 years ago - Griffin, GA

My grandfather passed in 1987 left all to my grandmother. She then passed in 2007 without a will. It was later found out that she was not my blood relative. So I have someone as a blood relative to her trying to take everything. As a grandkid to my grandfather which helped get the property in question am I entitled to anything?

1. Ruthann P. Lacey

4

Answered . Under Georgia intestacy law you are not an heir at law if you are not a blood or adopted grandchild of the woman you believe to be your grandmother. This is a sad and unfortunate situation. As another attorney responding to your question said, this is one reason it is so important that people have a well drafted will in place at their passing.

2. Steven J. Fromm

3

Answered . If you are not related then under the laws of intestate succession you may not be entitled to anything. If she had a will she could have named you or defined who were her descendants. Intestate law is much more rigid in its rules. This is why wills are drafted. Finally, laws vary from state to state so you would be well served to discuss this matter with an estates attorney in the state where the decedent died.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website for more tax, estate and business articles is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is

3. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

Answered . Unfortunately, unless you are a blood relative you are not an heir and do not inherit anything absent a will.

4. L Christopher Arvin

1

Answered . This is why EVERYONE practically needs estate planning - WITH AN ATTORNEY NOT- SELF-HELP SERVICE

Don't know how this can be dragging out 5 years later, was there never a probate??

Do you have counsel already??

If you had a probate 4 years ago and found no-blood now - check with local counsel to see if open.

You should spell out facts to us so we can evaluate

If matter is still open - outcome may be negative - but cannot say anything without facts laid out

This does not create an attorney/client relationship. This does not constitue legal advice. It is limited to facts of the question. You should consult an attorney in the appropriate state involved before making any decisions based on this answer