Interview USCIS

Hampton, VA |
Filed under: Immigration Green cards

hello/ i am waiting our interview based on marriage with american cit. ( i came legally here).
I worry, can uscis ask to sigh something and should we do it or no? i just heard that some of people were asked to sigh something and after they had problems..can uscis provide some tricky stuff like this?
thank you

You should read any document that you are asked to sign, but you shouldn't be asked to sign anything that isn't routine (your I-485 application or affidavit of support, for example). USCIS has no reason to try to "trick" you. Just be prepared to answer questions about your spouse and your marriage. Good luck! - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement letter with me, you should not consider this information to be legal advice.

It would be best to have a lawyer with you at the interview and you have to understand what you are signing. If you do not understand, don't sign.

Be informed that USCIS will ask you and the petitioner to sign the green card application. duirng the iinterview Make sure that the document you are signing and any other information you are providing represent the truth.

Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail:; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street, Suite 3320, Chicago, IL 60603 Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please help stop notario fraud. Please visit and share this site:

You should always read anything that you are asked to sign, whether by USCIS or by a random person that you encounter on any given day. USCIS wants to ensure that you marriage is legitimate. They will ask questions that persons in a bona fide marriage will be able to easily answer about each other, and which persons in a sham marriage will NEVER be able to answer.

If you have further questions, you can always contact an lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues. If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Also, please be sure to read my disclaimer below. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.

If they think your marriage isn't real ... or that when you entered the US you got married and/or filed papers for a greencard too quickly after entry .. they can attempt to get at the 'truth'.

Some people might call this 'tricky stuff' ... others would say that they are doing whatever they can to get at the truth.

Hire a lawyer ... you will then have someone on your side and the CIS people will be less inclined to attempt 'tricks'.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Always make sure that you read and fully understand any document you are asked to sign. If you are not sure of the meaning, don't sign. If it makes you feel better, hire a lawyer to go to the interview with you. I don't believe CIS is there to try to "trick you". But that doesn't mean that the law itself is not sometimes "tricky." Generally speaking, you should only sign routine forms that are part of the filing. Good luck to you and your spouse.

Recommended articles about Immigration