Interview USCIS

Asked almost 2 years ago - Hampton, VA

hello/ i am waiting our interview based on marriage with american cit. ( i came legally here).
I worry, can uscis ask to sigh something and should we do it or no? i just heard that some of people were asked to sigh something and after they had problems..can uscis provide some tricky stuff like this?
thank you

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Kristina A. Gasson

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should read any document that you are asked to sign, but you shouldn't be asked to sign anything that isn't routine (your I-485 application or affidavit of support, for example). USCIS has no reason to try to "trick" you. Just be prepared to answer questions about your spouse and your marriage. Good luck! - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement... more
  2. Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It would be best to have a lawyer with you at the interview and you have to understand what you are signing. If you do not understand, don't sign.

    Be informed that USCIS will ask you and the petitioner to sign the green card application. duirng the iinterview Make sure that the document you are signing and any other information you are providing represent the truth.

    Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail:; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street,... more
  3. Karla Rosalinda Prieto

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Always make sure that you read and fully understand any document you are asked to sign. If you are not sure of the meaning, don't sign. If it makes you feel better, hire a lawyer to go to the interview with you. I don't believe CIS is there to try to "trick you". But that doesn't mean that the law itself is not sometimes "tricky." Generally speaking, you should only sign routine forms that are part of the filing. Good luck to you and your spouse.

  4. Dean P Murray

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should always read anything that you are asked to sign, whether by USCIS or by a random person that you encounter on any given day. USCIS wants to ensure that you marriage is legitimate. They will ask questions that persons in a bona fide marriage will be able to easily answer about each other, and which persons in a sham marriage will NEVER be able to answer.

    If you have further questions, you can always contact an lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues. If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Also, please be sure to read my disclaimer below. Good luck to you.

    Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

    Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely... more
  5. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If they think your marriage isn't real ... or that when you entered the US you got married and/or filed papers for a greencard too quickly after entry .. they can attempt to get at the 'truth'.

    Some people might call this 'tricky stuff' ... others would say that they are doing whatever they can to get at the truth.

    Hire a lawyer ... you will then have someone on your side and the CIS people will be less inclined to attempt 'tricks'.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,130 answers this week

2,957 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,130 answers this week

2,957 attorneys answering