International kidnapping how to get my son back to USA

Asked over 1 year ago - Greenville, NC

I have full custody in USA, ex has full custody in UAE, he's Indian nationality and I'm american.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Kevin Michael Burke

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Where there is no custodial order, it is generally the case that the nation or jurisdiction where the child has lived for the past six months (so long as there was no abduction to such nation) would be recognised as being the place) which has the legal jurisdiction or authority to determine custody. This would require consideration as to where the jurisdiction properly lies. Once this is determined then you know whose laws govern. That does not necessarily equate to knowing which parent may succeed in a custodial determination. The caveat here is whether the UAE and USA will respect each other's orders, etc., if it is determined that the other nation's laws will be looked at in determining custody as between the parents.

  2. Douglas A. A'Hern

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You characterize the issue as a "kidnapping" - and if that is the case, it is a federal crime under the International Parental Kidnapping Crime Act (18 USC 1204). Please get off AVVO and contact the Federal Bureau of Investigations at 1017 WH Smith Blvd Greenville, NC 27834
    (704) 672-6100.

    If it more of a custody dispute, the United Arab Emirates is not a signatory to the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention), nor are there any bilateral agreements in force between the United Arab Emirates and the United States concerning international parental child abduction.

    You need to contact the NC Department of Public Safety and file a report. After that, contact the Department of State at:

    United States Department of State
    Bureau of Consular Affairs
    Office of Children’s Issues
    2201 C Street, N.W.
    Washington, DC 20520
    Telephone: 1-888-407-4747

    This should not be construed as advice, only information and I recommend for any additional questions you seek the... more
  3. Todd Matthew Heine

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . This depends: it sounds like the child is in the UAE? The UAE is a notoriously difficult place to get a child back from, which depends largely on the parties involved.

    We will need more details to give you a full analysis. Feel free to get in touch at +1 425 351 9455.

    Total Mobility Law is an international law firm that lets companies do global business with the knowledge and... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,761 answers this week

3,075 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,761 answers this week

3,075 attorneys answering