Skip to main content

International Divorce Law Query

Waukesha, WI |

Dear Sir or Madam:
My husband and I were married 2 years ago in one European country, while we were residing in another European country. We are both US citizens. We are again living abroad. I supported our family last year while my husband was unemployed, and per our agreement, my husband this year is to support the family, but has been unable to attain employment. I suspect his "lazy" nature is waiting for me to find employment for the family. I am not interested in supporting him. I would like to inquire about divorce proceedings. I am the caretaker of our child, and would like custody. Where would I begin? (Would it behoove me to not seek employment now, as I've heard the person with a higher income would be responsible for supporting the other spouse?) Thank you

Attorney Answers 1


Are you considering a divorce abroad, or seeking to divorce in the United States? If you are considering a divorce abroad, you might consult the State department website, as well as a divorce lawyer in the country where you are currently residing.

An American lawyer generally won't be able to advise re the divorce laws of a foreign country.

If you are seeking a divorce in a state, within the United States, you would need to consult with an attorney in that particular state, particularly with regard to residency requirements etc.

Mark as helpful

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics