International aspect to divorce - Alimony treaties

Arvada, CO |

Hello - My wife and I are going through a divorce. I am not a US citizen and have a job possibility in New Zealand and in France. In New Zealand, alimony is not tax deductible usually, but if my ex-wife is paying tax in the US on her alimony income, then there is double taxation. Is there an international alimony treated that makes an exception for this case. And what about France? Also I am afraid of even mentioning the possibility of a job overseas in case a barring order making me post bond, could be issued against me to stop me leaving the US. I don't intend doing anything illegal but is this possible? She is disabled and heavily reliant on me.

Your question is quite sophisticated, and may not be appropriate for this forum. What I mean to say is, unless you get very lucky, the odds are that Avvo's attorneys are not likely to be able to answer your question authoritatively.

I might recommend consulting with a large accounting or law firm that has familiarity with international tax implications.

2. I cannot answer all of your questions, but will address those that I can. Maintenance can either be tax deductible to the payor and taxable to the payee or it can be totally non-tax deductible which enables the recipient not pay taxes. I cannot speak to any laws in France. You would need to speak with an attorney familiar with French law, probably in France. Bond can be required when there are children as a deterrent to the children being taken from the state or country. I cannot speak to any other bond requirement. I wish you the very best in a difficult situation.

3. I agree with Mr. Littman. You have a very complicated and complex question that involves not only issues of family law, but immigration, and international law. It sounds like your divorce case is currently pending. If you are not represented by an attorney, I strongly urge you to seek the advice of counsel immediately. Divorce cases are complex in and of themselves, but you are adding a whole new level to the complication with the additional factors in your case. There are many good family law attorneys that have experience in immigration and other areas that you are asking about. You should act sooner than later.

International law topics